Monday 18 December 2006

the gaffer

Having spoken to various people before embarking on this trip it seems common practice to perform some kind of a `shakedown´. This is where you spend a couple of hundred miles on the bike with all the luggage you intend to take and check to see if anything breaks or needs adjusting.

This had always been my intention but with the advent of xmas parties and everything else i only actually managed to do this for about 30 miles around London and even then without the full load. I was therefore looking towards the Spanish leg of the trip to iron out any issues.

A few issues have arisen already..
Actually the bike seems to be holding up pretty well to date and it´s me that seems to be struggling. I have literally found my Achilles heel after only a couple of days. Looking around my first aid kit i drew a blank but then i remembered the gaffer tape i had brought for it´s 1001 uses.

Not sure i´ve seen this one on the box before but it seems to be working just fine.

6 comments:

eghervas said...

Already injured??!! hehehe. Don't panic, things will get better... won't it? Give me a call around New Year!! (+34657656329)

bigfig said...

Hiya Rusty. You may of expected minor injuries from the Spanish terrain. I remember you mentioning another Spanish rip, I forget how and where now, that occasionally stunted your growth. Safe passage matey, I’ll be watching keenly. Big love from me and the family. Sx

Valerie Clarke said...

Re Sean's comment - that would no doubt be several drinks in the European Shopping Centre with your Mum and I among others. Excellent for stunting the growth.

I'm Val, your Mum's friend, and another Sean (my husband) and I send you very best wishes for your journey. Are you stopping to catch some catfish on the Ebro?

Happy Christmas and give your Mum a big hug from me when you reach Pego.

Unknown said...

Rusty - good to hear that the journey is going well, although sorry to hear about your achilles heel. Is it getting any better? Funny as I have a support that would aid that perfectly back home you could use? I think Dad's advice sounds the best though! Good luck mate and will speak to you soon, hopefully on Christmas Day at Mum's! Happy cycling! Take it easy, Damo

Cazza - The sister said...

Hope you're stocking up on the bacon and serano ham, we're in short supply over here in Oman ! Oh, and a bottle of Rioja wouldn't go a miss either, hehe !

See you in April,
Caz x

Toby said...

Russ - you are a legend!